What is the first thing that comes to mind when I ask you to define social media? Is it Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Periscope, or Snapchat?
What if I told you that you should not be thinking about the technology first? You should be thinking about people. You should be focused on your ideal customer. Think DNA, not tools. How can you get in the head of your customer and inspire and connect with them?
Your mission with social media is to figure out where your ideal customer is hanging out online and then determine how you can have the most relevant conversation with them possible.
You need to be where your ideal customer is, not just where you want to be or even necessarily where you feel comfortable.
Do these questions found familiar?
- I am spending loads of time on social networks with little business return.
- I am spending loads of time learning tools and technology with zero business return.
- I feel like I am online 24/7 yet am making no progress.
- I don't know where to go next and sometimes feel like throwing in the social media towel!
If this is you, then you definitely need to listen to the 142nd episode of the Social Zoom Factor podcast. I explain in plain english why you must quit focusing on the technology, and instead focus on how you can connect with real human beings. How can you best serve them value? You must know where you are going and why.
In this 25 minute podcast you will learn:
- Why you can't start with technology when building a social media strategy and plan
- The difference between social business and social media
- Why your priorities must first be focused on your audience and ideal customer
- Tips to avoid being online 24/ 7 and have even higher result
- Why your most important question you must ask in building your social media strategy is WHY
- Example social media outcomes, goals and objectives
- Audience Analysis Worksheet (based on Forrester POST Methodology)
- Social Media in a Nutshell (episode 38)
- 15 Reasons Random Acts of Marketing are Bad for Business and Career (episode 38)
- 10 Tips to Stomp Random Acts of Marketing (white paper)
- Brand Humanization in a Nutshell
- Content Marketing in a Nutshell (episode 50)
- Content Editorial Calendar Template (worksheet / template)
- Content Editorial Calendar Podcast Tutorial (episode 77)
- 8 Steps to Develop a Social Business Plan (white paper)